The Norwood Library was first established in 1938, by the Ladies Federated Club of Norwood. A homestead cabin belonging to Gladys and Steven Herndon was moved to Norwood and established as a library. It was run for 40 years by volunteers. Membership dues of 50 cents per member went to buy books, therefore, many books were donated. Shelves were built of sawmill lumber and painted bright red. In 1978, the voters of the R2J School district approved making the library a district, to be supported by property taxes. Lena Nix, a longtime Federated Club member and library volunteer was a prime mover and shaker in getting the district established. Lena was 86 at the time.
In 1980, a 500 sq.ft. addition was added to the library doubling the space. A handicapped accessible door and bathroom were added and library hours were expanded. With a library book budget, we were able to start filling up those new shelves. Our first annual book sale was held in the summer of 1980 and we had our first paid staff. Computers were added to the library in 1985 and by 1995, we were ready to add more space to the library. A vote of the electors gave us a 3.478 mil levy and enabled us to build another 1000 sq.ft. addition. It was paid for by the additional monies and no bonds were needed to pay for the construction of the building. More hours of operation were added and personal computers were available for the public in their own area of the library. Automated circulation of our collection followed and then high speed internet access.