SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Thank you for your patience as we continue building our new website.

M-F: 10am – 5pm | Sat: 11am – 4pm | Sun: Closed

 February 8, 2021

Library Board Meeting

 

A regular meeting of the Lone Cone Library District Board was held on February 8, 2021, at 6:30 p.m., located at 1455 Pinion Street and also via Zoom. Said meeting was posted and included the link and password in accordance with the Sunshine Law. 

PRESENT: Rheanna Xavier, Kristen Parrino, Emily Haight, Laurel Henderson, Carrie Andrew, Brandi Platt 

GUESTS: Rhonda Oliver, Laura Nava 

CALL TO ORDER 

Board President Rheanna Xavier called the meeting to order at 6:34 p.m. APPROVAL OF AGENDA 

A motion was made by Kristen Parrino, seconded by Rheanna Xavier, to approve the agenda with additions. All voted yes. Motion passed. 

APPROVAL OF MINUTES 

The Library Board considered the minutes of the January 11, 2021, regular Library Board meeting for approval. 

A motion was made by Emily Haight, seconded by Kristen Parrino, to approve the minutes from the January 11, 2021, regular Library Board meeting as presented. All voted yes. Motion passed. 

CALL FOR PUBLIC COMMENT 

No public comment was made at this time. 

MONTHLY BUDGET REVIEWS 

Library Director Carrie Andrew reported the percentages for some things are showing a lot higher because there are annual subscriptions that renew right at the beginning of the year. It was reported that the vista will be paid out of the payroll budget. 

A motion was made by Kristen Parrino, seconded by Rheanna Xavier, to approve the monthly budget as presented. All voted yes. Motion passed. 

MONTHLY REPORTS Q&A 

Library Director Carrie Andrew reported that we are seeing more people at all programs, including yoga, and that our lunches are at the highest they have been per day. It was reported that the staff are going to start recording how people are finding out about the programs to see which marketing approach is actually working. 

It was reported that we have received a grant from the Telluride Foundation for Community Conversations and Carrie will be holding her first program called Afternoon Tea towards the end of the month. 

It was reported that we have received a one time program grant called Libraries Transform. Carrie will be doing the facilitator’s training. Carrie would like to do that program when we are allowed to gather in larger groups. It is focused on community leaders and how to bring the community together. 

It was reported that the Volunteer Celebration has been put on hold at this time until we are allowed to gather in larger groups. 

It was reported that Tri-County Health will be doing free health screenings in the conference room every other Thursday. 

It was reported that we have received a life sized sculpture from a donor in Telluride. A plaque will be made for the sculpture when we get it and we will eventually get a photo of the donor to put with the donation. 

DIRECTOR’S REPORT 

Library Director Carrie Andrew reported that we are still in transition between banks. It was reported that paperwork had to go to the attorneys for a new PDPA number. 

A discussion was had about the number of children in the area who often go without food. It was reported that we could have enough money to start doing a backpack lunch program. There was discussion about doing a “Little Free Library”, but instead of doing it with books, it would be done with non perishable food items. We could talk to Michele Blunt to send out another survey to the school to see who might need this and try to take away any stigmas of food banks to make food more accessible for everyone in need. 

It was reported that Coolings will be coming to do maintenance on the HVAC system. 

The library Board was given a scope from Chris Endreason for the grounds project. Carrie’s task will be to reach out to the various partners to see if they are still interested in partnering for the project. We are specifically looking for mutual relationship partners that will work together and will share the responsibilities.

The library Board was shown a slide presentation about Sustainable Thinking for Building Community Resilience. This will help the community understand how the library is more than just books for our community and will tie things together such as the food scarcity program. 

It was requested that the Director’s Report be changed up a little bit to show what things have been done and the progress of things that are still open. 

BOARD MEMBER REPORTS 

Recruitment Update on New Members: Laurel Henderson has already been appointed to the Board. Laura Nava has sent her information to the County Commissioners for appointment. 

Marketing: Library Director Carrie Andrew reported that the architect that did our building reached out to do a followup. She was introduced to a lady that creates mind maps and has already done all of her research on our library. She has been working with Carrie to do some rebranding, public relations and storytelling. Carrie is looking into grants that she can apply for to make this happen. 

UNFINISHED BUSINESS 

No unfinished business was discussed at this time. 

NEW BUSINESS 

No new business was discussed at this time. 

ADDITIONAL BOARD ITEMS 

No additional Board items were discussed at this time. 

MOTION TO ADJOURN 

At 8:10 p.m., a motion was made by Rheanna Xavier, seconded by Laurel Henderson, to adjourn the meeting with no further action taken. All voted yes. Motion passed.